A while back we uncovered some of the hidden gems along India’s coastlines in our post about India’s most beautiful beaches. Believe it or not, there are dozens of other beaches to choose from and we’re glad to let you know where some of them are located. Prepare yourself for more fun in the sun and sand as you explore the east and west coasts of what can only be described as a diverse and eclectic continent!
Lakshadweep Island Beaches
The Lakshadweep Island area, also known as “the Laccadives,” consists of a group of 36 small islands scattered throughout the Arabian Sea. Only 10 of the islands are populated and a mere two are open to the public to enjoy. The beaches on Bangaram and Kadmat are especially popular and the shores and lagoons off of the islands are a much sought after destination for divers looking to enjoy exotic wildlife. Visitors to both islands enjoy not only diving but wind surfing and kayaking as well.
The state of Maharashtra is littered with incredible beaches and resorts. Maharashtra is not only well known for its beaches but for its heritage and history as well. Visitors often enjoy tours of the coastal forts found in the area as well as their time spent on the beaches.
Image Credit: Gauravonomics
Some of the most popular beaches in Maharashtra include:
- Madh Island Beach – Madh Island Beach is a hot destination for those who love throwing beach parties and picnics. Set in an urban area, the sandy beaches are littered with incredible bungalows where visitors traveling from Mumbai and the surrounding areas can relax in between parties.
- Juhu Beach – Juhu Beach is considered amongst the largest beaches along the Arabian Sea and is always packed with visiting tourists. The beach is considered one of the best places for those visiting the city of Mumbai to hang out.
- Baseein – The beach at Baseein is a historic destination, known for being the location where the Marathas defeated the Portuguese. This beautiful beach, which was once a shipbuilding area, is considered one of the best places to go when one wants to simply get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Tamil Nadu Beaches
Tamil Nadu is the southernmost state in India and every beach has its own form of elegance and charm. Some of the beaches are great for simple relaxation while others are hot spots for movie shoots, surfing, or boating.
What beaches in Tamil Nadu should you visit?
- Marina Beach – In the Chennai section of the state you’ll find Marina Beach. This particular beach is thought to be the second longest in the world and its golden sands and incredible surf draw tourists from around the world.
- Elliot’s Beach - Elliot’s Beach is a hot destination for those who’d like to catch a glimpse of some of India’s hottest stars. If a movie is set in Tamil Nadu you are almost guaranteed to see a scene being shot on this beach.
- Kanyakumari BeachÂ- Kanyakumari Beach sits in a unique location where the Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal, and the Indian Ocean all meet. This astounding site is an incredibly romantic place to catch the sun either as it rises or sets.
The beaches at Pondicherry are some of the most serene and relaxing in all of India. On these beaches you’re more likely to see individuals and families relaxing in the sand and water than you are to see lively parties that last long into the night.
Image credit: Melanie-m
Some of the best beaches in Pondicherry are:
- Serenity Beach – Serenity Beach is true to its name. The warm sands will welcome you after you take a quick swim in the beautiful turquoise waters. Relax in the sun or in the shade – it’s up to you.
- Karaikal Beach- Karaikal Beach is popular amongst those looking to enjoy some quiet time on the water. You’ll often find kayaks and canoes dotting the shoreline. This beach is a bit more active – often hosting small volleyball games or welcoming fisherman looking to grab their next big catch.
- Plage Paradiso – Plage Paradiso, also known as Paradise Beach, is an amazing destination for those looking to enjoy a real tropical experience. Take a short cruise out into the ocean and you’re destined to see some of the area’s dolphin population at play as you soak in the warm sun.
India’s beaches are some of the cleanest and most refreshing in the world. Make sure you ask the concierge at your hotel in India where the closet beach is. Â You’ll find that the trip is well worth the extra effort.